Wednesday 13 July 2016

Building Bridges



I have to admit, when I first saw posters up around Wingham, I didn't really understand what Building Bridges for the Future was all about. Now that I have been a part of this campaign I have an insider's point of view and I can see clearly where it is going.

The sports fields at F. E. Madill are on two tiers, the upper field and the lower field, the lower surrounded by the gravel track. What stands between those two fields is a hill.
The muddy track and the hill between the two fields
In my previous life I took great pleasure in torturing my athletes by getting them to run, ski-stride, lunge, squat, skate or push-up their way up and down that hill. We have also had fun on that hill with our skis on and crazy carpets that live in the ski room. Now, however, that hill is insurmountable. To try and go down it in my chair would be dangerous; to go up, well near impossible.

I had always known that the fields were in rough shape, we played games and ran circuits on them. Running on rough terrain is just a good way to build up ankle strength, right? This past fall I went to watch and cheer on at a couple of ski team practices. This was still pretty early in my recovery, but being in my chair and on those fields I really got a feel for how rough they are. I needed to be pushed across the upper field, even with my free wheel on, and when we got to the hill to watch skiers practice their ski striding I thought no way. There was no way I would be going down to that track.

One of the key features of the Building Bridges project is to make that track and lower field accessible. They have hired Burnside Engineering to make a safe passage way which will allow anyone with a physical disability a way down. When I go back to Madill I will be able to get to that track and lower field, but only if there is enough money to make it happen.

The people who are volunteering their time to manage and fundraise for this project are fiends of mine. I was asked if I would help. Gladly. They raised $60,500 at the Gala (where I spoke) and they are $40,000 away from being able to start this project. The school board has committed to help with the drainage of the lower field and the accessibility path, but more money is needed before they will be allowed to bring in the machines.

If you are a Madill Alumni or a former teacher, if you ever competed on or participated in gym class on a sports field or if you just want to see a safe place for students and the community at large to get fit, please consider making a donation. Here is the page to go to: Building Bridges Fundraising Page and I am told that if enough money is raised they may be able to rubberize the track, how fantastic that would be for runners and rollers alike!

Even though I raised $2100 at the Gala by auctioning off those two bike helmets, I have not yet personally made a donation. It is about time that I did, and I hope that if you can, you will help too.


No comments:

Post a Comment