Monday 15 August 2016

Priceless

Today, being Monday, I was back to physio with Bill and Mark. I was working on some core stuff that I was not able to do six or so weeks ago. I can now hold the bar out in front and lift it up and down. I was throwing the four pound medicine ball, sitting on the end of the bed feet on the floor, back and forth to Bill. We tried a version of "Russian twist" - but I have a long way to go before it looks anything close to real! Satisfying to know that many of these activities were not doable in earlier attempts, even throwing a beach ball was difficult at Parkwood.
Here you can see Barry holding me up from behind - the olden days.
I guess it would be a good marker to have record of what I can do now. I will have some pics taken on Wednesday.

The other great thing about today was that I got to Wingham for physio, the post office and the Family Tree all by myself. Theo was out and the kids are away at camp this week, so there was no one to load my chair but me. So I did it, and it only took me five minutes this time! I knew I would be able to do these errands on my own because both these businesses have made themselves completely accessible. No help required.

Oh, and did I mention that my bladder held too? Upon reflection of our day in Owen Sound last week I couldn't help but think about an old fashioned VISA commercial that went something like this: (cue the Morgan Freeman voiceover)

Botox injections (2 vials - the face uses only one) $795.
Watching the Dr inject the botox into my bladder. Free.
Lunch out (where I ended up eating everything because there was egg in Theo's salad dressing) $25.95
New shoes (because I just happened to find a great running shop) $75
Knowing that I now can get to physio and back without peeing my pants? Priceless.

For everything else there's VISA (which is how I paid for the botox).

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it does buy peace of mind.

3 comments:

  1. Terrific progress! All this -- and with an indefatigable sense of humour. You're a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually laughed out loud! Ha!
    You have a great writing talent, Julie. So glad that you're finding time to blog amidst all you've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually laughed out loud! Ha!
    You have a great writing talent, Julie. So glad that you're finding time to blog amidst all you've been doing.

    ReplyDelete