Sunday 24 April 2016

Downhill is one thing...

Today has been a lovely spring day - happy medium warm weather and great company. Steph and Mike and the boys came up from the city and we toured them around the front lawn showing the layout of the new house. It is still very much in the planning stages - trying to work out which side the garage should go on and whether the kids rooms should be on the same side of the house as ours. The kids had fun outside walking around with giant sticks and having sword fights (making Steph only a little nervous). Dave was here for the weekend too, being helpful and collecting junk from our farm to take to his house for some strange playground idea he has. Anyone else is welcome to come and take some of our stuff...


Today was also the first time that I have been on the trail in my wheelchair. It was easy going on the rail trail, but getting off of it and on to the ski trail was challenging. Downhill is easy and fun so long as it is mostly level. I can navigate uneven surfaces with rocks and roots but we turned around when we got to the mud. I felt a bit emotional about it, remembering how much time I had spent on that trail on my skis or mountain bike. Most of it was alone time, my solitude time with nature. It made me wonder when I will be able to do that again. Downhill is one thing, but there is no way I am strong enough to navigate back up those hills. Yet. Whoever is with me is going to get one hell of a workout pushing me back up to the top. Any volunteers?

1 comment:

  1. We were out hiking this weekend too, so thanks for sharing your own pictures and experiences on the trail.

    ReplyDelete