Wednesday 5 October 2016

Hello October

I have been told by someone else who writes that I should not wait for inspiration, that I should just write. Easier said than done, but I am going to try.

Today I feel the best that I have in a long time. Like a month. September was not good. Today though, the sun, the warm wind, no appointments, no workers or guests, new hair cut and good music in my earbuds - just a free day. I did my workout outside today - Theo carried my physiotrainer out to my deck and I got to workout and watch him while he worked. He is at the wall building stage and the trusses are coming soon. This is the shed, not the house.

Also, I think I am finally feeling better. A month of infection followed by antibiotics followed by infection of a different bacteria and another round of gut rotting drugs leaves one quite exhausted. My UTIs are "complicated" say my doctors. Fun. I love being complicated. And it will never go away. So long as I can not control my urinary sphincters (this used to be my favourite biology word - no more) I will have to use a catheter and therefore always be at risk of infection. No matter how careful I am to be clean and sterile I will always be at risk. I can take probiotics to have the right balance of flora, cranberry extract, d-mannose and juniper to prevent bacteria from adhering to the wall of the bladder. They all help, but nothing but a good old fashioned pee the normal way will eliminate that risk. I had a Dr tell me that I could be as careful as possible but had to leave the rest up to God. This from a man of science. If it were up to God perhaps I would not have been hit by a car in the first place? Here we are back to physics and biology once again.

Today my legs are nerve pain free. What a relief. There is a certain amount of energy that one has in a day and when a great deal of that energy goes into managing pain and trying just to function, the days are less fun. For more than a couple days last month I was ready to cut off my legs. I know that doesn't really make sense, why would someone who can not feel or use their legs want to cut them off? Even though I can not feel them, they are still the site of a lot of the nerve pain. Pain that does not go away with any amount of drugs. I had been doing well for most of the summer, nerve pain at a manageable level, but there is something that happens when infection strikes and that pain comes back with a vengeance.

I had this conversation with a friend last week. It's not fair - why should someone who has no feeling in their legs still feel pain? I have a Parkwood friend who takes no pain meds at all - she says that pain reminds us that we are alive. I don't follow this philosophy. Yes, I am glad to be alive, but I don't need the pain to remind me. When I have pain like I did last month I want to crawl into bed and not move. Just close my eyes and make it go away. But I can't, I have to keep going. There are days that I only get up because someone comes into my bedroom and says "are you getting up?" Those days are hard. September was full of them.

Hello October.


3 comments:

  1. So glad you took the advice to just write because that was totally worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better! Sorry for the UTI's. Sorry for the pain. NOT sorry to be reading what you write -- although would never have been reading it had the accident not happened. Your reflecting / writing / sharing is, in some ways, redeeming the tragic element of the mishap.

    ReplyDelete