Tuesday 19 January 2016

I ('ve) got a feeling

Now that I am singing the very dancy Black Eyed Peas (and so are all of you), I will tell you what that feeling is...it's a full bladder. The development of this feeling has been in the works for a few weeks now, maybe even a month, but I wanted to be sure I was correct before I wrote anything. Using my scientific mind, I have been keeping track and have finally come to the conclusion that I am right. The feeling that I have is that my bladder is full (and close to overfull). Ha! I can feel it!

If I think back, it started on a trip to Parkwood with Theo, probably back in December. We were on our way through Exeter (45 minutes from home) and I had this feeling, thought hum, I wonder what that means, it might be bad. Having had a number of different "accidents" of various kinds and in various locations, I was not sure what was going to happen. You see, it felt like it was in my bowels, so therefore I thought that nothing good could come of it. What happened next both surprised us and happened fast. I felt between my legs, my pants were wet and I was actually still peeing! Oh, and did I mention that we were driving in my new car? Luckily I had my backpack full of supplies (aka my diaper bag), Theo pulled over, I lifted myself up using the arm rests and he jammed something under me to soak up the rest.

The rest of the way to London I sat and moped, thinking about what the best way to tackle this problem was. I could not show up to walk the Ekso with wet and smelly pants. I had a spare pair of tights in my bag, but they would not work to ride the bike - they need to stick electrodes to the skin on my thighs, so they needed to be wide legged to roll up. After telling Theo that my "back up pants" were not going to work, he offered to stop at the Joe Fresh in the north end to buy me another pair of yoga pants (who needs LuLu when you have Joe?). We were already running behind, so I was not sure we had time, but I also did not have another suggestion. So we stopped; I have never seen Theo shop so fast - AND he got the exact right pants in the correct size. Nice. I got cleaned up and into my new pants (not easy for an able-bodied set of legs to do in the car) and we were only ten minutes late.

So ever since this happened I have been trying to take note of when this feeling happened, and what happened next. Even though the feeling feels like it is coming from the area that I would have previously associated with my bowels, it is not. It's a full bladder. I will spare you the details of how I worked it all out - but it's scientific because it involved measuring...and I could make a graph :) Of course it makes me think that more will come and other feelings will develop, maybe motor neurons too.

Timing is everything now. That feeling is like a shot across the bow, if I ignore it, there are consequences and they usually involve a lot of laundry.







4 comments:

  1. Bring on the feelings... And the control! Neuron by neuron, each step a small victory.
    BTW, that's some husband you have there! You make a good team. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sure a funny thing to say congratulations about, but hey--congratulations! This is SUCH exciting news. Incredible. And I totally agree with your take on Joe Fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love your scientific take on ALL things. It's smart! What better way to take charge and measure change.
    Excited to hear how great you are getting at figuring all this stuff out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great to see you today :) And I would like to congratulate you on remembering to listen to your body and how it talks to you as you move through this process. Good work, You've Got This!!!!

    ReplyDelete