Saturday 30 January 2016

The main messages

I think that these grey days are starting to have a negative impact on my psyche. Today started out grey - so grey I could not believe it was morning. Yesterday had been so sunny, I was expecting the same for today. We did get some sun in the middle of the afternoon, but it did not last for long. These are the kind of days where, in previous winters, I would get out on my skis for an hour or more and the day would feel better no matter what colour the sky was. These days I get out of the house to go somewhere (usually therapy) but that is the often extent of my outside time.
The other day when someone was here, they made reference to it being "almost friday". I responded with my usual "woho!" and after realized, why do I care if it is a weekend or a weekday? I am at home, afterall, and not going to work, so one day should be the same as the next. But they are not. When I spoke to Wei Chen the other day on Ontario Morning, one of the things I said I was struggling with was my lack of interaction with other people. As a teacher, on a regular day I would see and/or talk to more than 100 different people. I miss that. So saying that I would be happy for the weekend does not make sense from that point of view. As a teacher, and anyone else who needs a break from their job would understand, weekends are essential down time. Now they are a time for me to get through.

Yes, true, my kids are home, and my friends are not working, so I get time to spend time with them, but sometimes, it's not enough. No, I don't want to be with people every minute of every day, and back in my old life I would have been joyous at the opportunity for five minutes alone. So these feelings I have are mixed and confusing. Theo tell's me that I need to have rest days, days that I don't have physio scheduled, and I know he's right. So instead of arranging time with a friend today, we went the the QB for coffee and later we played hockey in the driveway, read books and watch a movie.
That is the FreeWheel on the front of my chair
I think? she scored!

The pictures tell the story: XX vs. XY. Look! Julie is playing in net and she looks like she knows what she is doing! Ella is taking a penalty shot on Oliver because Theo, who hit Julie in the head with the ball, is now in the penalty box (aka Dog House). I feel better now, being outside helps. I could last for longer if my hands didn't get so cold. Those darn push rims just suck the heat from my hands.

The kids made supper tonight and we had a movie dinner watching "home" together. I liked it, a good message. When I asked Ella what she thought the main messages were, she said; "Family. Don't run from danger. Oh, and don't send your messages to everyone in the universe." So I will work harder on being happy at home with my family and stop running from what scares me. As for not sending my messages out to the whole universe? Well, here I go again.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post, and I'm glad you sent this one out to the universe.

    This year is my final year of teaching, and as I transition into retirement I appreciate your sharing your thoughts about time with others and time with yourself. I continue to struggle with these things in our culture where we are often brainwashed into being "on" all the time. I think back to my childhood when people and couples and families did not go out all the time, but stayed home and read, cooked, worked on a hobby, tidied the house, and watched TV together. Some families played games--not mind, but my husband's--and that ability to play cards comes in handy later in life! I actually think there must be some brain development thing around that. I still have to be reminded of card game rules having learned how to play later in life, so it's awesome that Ella is learning how to play poker and other games with your mom and dad. We lived with my grandparents when we were young, but they weren't card players.

    Ella's choice of one of those messages: ...Don't run from danger.... Wow. So very true. Every family, in its own way, has its own type of "danger" that makes it want to run and hide in a variety of ways.

    I wish I was an inventor and could devise something for those cold aluminum rims. My dad has a Harley and has heated gloves. Have you checked out the bike shops? There's one on the 401 near the turn-off for Parkwood (between Highbury and Wellington or Wellington and Commissioners....) Also pretty sure there are some bike shops in your neck of the woods.

    Take care, Julie.

    ReplyDelete