Tuesday 23 February 2016

Justincasance

I'm sitting in the family room by the fire, I pick up the phone to call my Dad. Ten minutes latter I am staring at my phone (I mean facebook) wondering what it was I was supposed to be doing. Focus. I seem to lack focus. Theo just came in and said "oh know, you have that look...you must be blogging". No joke - I guess I can focus some of the time.

I am going to write about something that I never used to give much thought to. I don't profess to be an expert, far from it in fact, but I know a lot more than I used to, so I'll do my best. Insurance. We all have some form of insurance, and many of us have a lot of insurance. Home, auto, life, farm, medical, pet... I am sure there are more. What many don't realize is what you are really paying for, and what help you will get if something goes wrong. Theo and I know a lot about insurance now, much more than we wished we knew, and I hope that you will never need to know first hand.

Provincial laws that govern auto accidents changed after February 2010, apparently a lot changed in insurance that year. Specifically in regard to who is "at fault" when you have an accident. I remember hearing about it on the radio, but I never really payed attention. Now I do. I hope you will learn from our story, and maybe you will alter your insurance coverage. In fact, just last week I called to make changes to my policy, upped my home rebuilding costs, got the snow tire discount and upped my auto liability limit to $2 million. That last one is the most important one. Here's why.

Because my accident happened on the road/I was an insured driver, I have been able to make a SABS claim (Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule). By making appropriate claims through the adjuster my medical rehabilitation and attendant care expenses are paid for. The intent of the med rehab pot is to help pay for the people and equipment needed to get the accident victim back to their former life (or as much as possible). In my case, med rehab pays for physio, using the ekso, home exercise equipment, the non-government portion of my wheelchair, my adapted car and hopefully a new accessible house. The attendant care pot pays for the people who are helping with my everyday care, my PSWs.

We also sued the driver, this is called the "torte" portion of the law. Hiring a lawyer is essential in this situation, someone with a lot of experience to help achieve the maximum settlement. We have managed to do this in what seems like a short amount of time, and without the need to go to court. Relief. Thanks Mike.

So now there are two sources of funds to help pay for my recovery. And believe me, when someone comes knocking on my door, offering to have me be a part of a spinal cord injury trial in California - I will be there!

Having catastrophic injuries (like I do) it does not take long for costs to add up to one million dollars. So call your broker and increase your limit to $2 million. It will cost you about $60 a year. That's it. By increasing your liability limit, you have coverage for the person who is seriously injured, and they are possibly less likely to sue you personally.

Just-in-case.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a terrible thing to happen! I was also involved in a car accident that ended with my lawyer suing the driver for medical reimbursement and damages, but luckily neither I nor my child was seriously injured. Having that high liability limit is so important to reducing stress and financial hardship!

    Joshua Duncan @ Focus Insurance Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tragic event - I am so sorry to hear about that. But I am glad you really have a new great grasp of insurance. Also, thank you for sharing what you know - it can really help! I never thought about how one million dollars would add up so fast, two million is really the way to go!

    Oliver @ Little, Oliver & Gallagher

    ReplyDelete